I have not had any problem mating silver shifters with a good Shimano 9
speed cassette and a good conex chain.  I ran into a lot of trouble with an
inexpensive SRAM chain & cassette.  I do get occasional  ghost shifts with
the same set up on BE, but it always seems to be connected to a slightly
loose D ring.  Personally I think a hi quality 9 speed will give a better
experience than a mid level 10 speed set up.  What do you hope to get by
going 10 speed?  I know the steps can be a little smaller and I like that
but the only time it seems to matter with 9 speed is between 14 & 16 or 15
& 17.   There is no perfect solution here; it always about what compromise
you are willing to make.

When you're done with this project let us know how a lightweight 650 works
out.  I keep thinking about it for my Marinoni racing frame but never quite
get to the point of wanting to spend the money.

Michael