Great to hear the repair-ability part. We hear how steel is easily
repairable, but never really hear of anyone doing it!

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM, lungimsam <john11.2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Pics, pics!! Love to see it.
>

> On Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:23:08 PM UTC-4, Paul Yeoh wrote:
>
>> Tried to post this to rivbike.com, but they only allow 1000 characters
>> and this review is about 5X that.
>> Hope it helps anyone looking at the Hillborne.
>>

>> This review is overdue, I have had the bike almost 2 years now, and its
>> been through a few configurations. I didn't love it at first, but I really
>> do appreciate it now, I guess I've grown into the bike.
>>
>> It might be good to first state that I don't fit the usual Riv customer
>> profile. I've been riding XC since 13 (age 32 at time of writing), and more
>> recently gotten into road riding. I love my go-fast kit, enjoy racing and
>> train with a heart rate monitor. That's not to say that I don't ever "Just
>> Ride" - I ride in a variety of ways.
>>
>> I first specced my Hillborne with moustache bars, a schmidt dynohub
>> (powering B&M lights front and rear) , phil rivy 7 speed rear hub, 42mm
>> marathon extremes (knobby) , tektro 720 cantis, MKS Sylvan pedals and B17
>> saddle. I went to town on this build, thinking it'd be my bike to tour the
>> world on. I didn't enjoy riding it so much, it felt slow on the road, and
>> not nearly as much fun as my racing hardtail off road. The moustache bars
>> have the cool XO look, but felt awkward to me - I could never settle into a
>> position for long.
>>
>> I didn't start to really enjoy and appreciate the bike until after making
>> several changes... which I would recommend to anyone who enjoys aggressive
>> riding.
>>
>> - Noodle bars and technomic stem: this handlebar setup gave me enough
>> positions to play with, both aggressive and relaxed. The only way to go,
>> imho. Much more comfortable over a long trip, and easier to crank out power
>>  than on a moustache bar.
>>
>> - Jack Brown tires: The best 700c tire for this bike! These make it
>> possible to keep up with slower roadies while being very comfortable and
>> secure. For the same effort that I can keep my 23mm road racer going at 40
>> kph, I can keep these tires going at 35 kph, which is pretty darn good
>> considering 50psi comfort and the Hillborne's significant heft. I feel that
>> a fatter, knobby tire like the 42mm marathon extreme is overkill for this
>> frame, and doesn't allow me to ride off road any faster anyway.
>>
>> - Crankbrothers 50/50 platform pedals : these were actually for my full
>> suspension trail bike but were put on the Hillborne while the trail bike
>> was out of service. Its much easier to put power down on the bike with a
>> grippy platform pedal vs. a more slippery MKS Sylvan. It lets me charge
>> over rough surfaces and accelerate with a great deal more conviction = more
>> fun. I'd tried clipless pedals on the Hillborne too, but platforms allow
>> you to embrace the Rivendell / Grant philosophy properly, and it works
>> really well.
>>
>> I've not been a huge fan of the Silver friction shifters, and I am just
> [...]

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

**
“I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America
that’s the America millions of Americans believe in. That’s the America I
love.”