my buddy and i originally wanted to get Bike Fridays for touring. then realized
the small wheels were not good for touring/light trails. he bought a new Trek
520 and i had already had a 1984 Cannondale tourer, this was about 2005
as we checked out touring websites we slowly realized our bikes were functional
but ugly....especially the 520. my buddy was a long-time Bridgestone
bike/catalog fan then turned me onto Rivendell.  it was then we saw how beauty
and function can be rolled into one.
first, my buddy bought a Heron Randonneur from Saturday Cycles in Utah, a great
shop. i still had my Cannondale because i thought the Riv. prices were a bit
much...not so much anymore
fast forward to 2012 and my stable consists of 3 Rivs (Ram, Ram, Atlantis) and
2 Herons (Road, Touring). my buddy has since added a Saluki with 650b tires. i
still keep a couple 1980's Japanese road bikes in service but the Riv. kool aid
has been drunk, digested and there's always a cold pitcher of it in the fridge
mike goldman
warwick,r.i.