Like many folks on here (I'm guessing) the bicycle truly was my first taste
of freedom in the small town where I grew up.   Hence I am a bicycle
fanatic, and inevitably came to Rivendell from riding vintage bikes and
BMX, and being accustomed to steel as a frame material that is reliable
even if well-used, crashed or dented.   I have owned a few vintage treks
(still have an '88 520 with a sky-high bb), centurions, and still have a
sweet old specialized sequoia, and I had many friends who rode Surlys, IFs
and Sevens.   I like lugged bikes, and gravitated to bikes like the
Bombadil back when it had parallel TT and it was the only one with a 2TT in
their lineup, except for the 71cm AHH, and the 650b mountain bike just
seemed like an epiphany (still does).    Also the Quickbeam because it was
so unique and yet so familiar at the same time- the silence and simplicity
of SS/fixed combined with the quick-release shift mechanism is awesome.
I make use of that feature gladly depending on where I'm going.   The more
I ride it, the more I love the way the QB rides.     Anyway the rest was
history for me.   Riv has unbeatable customer service and have just done so
much good for bicycling in general.    I even got to visit their HQ once at
the end of a US/Canadian tour a couple of years ago.    They bought me
lunch and it was awesome.

I love that when you call them up, there is a decent chance that Grant
Petersen answers the phone.   Talking to GP about bicycles is a real
privilege. How many bicycle companies are like that.  They are definitely
not in the same price range as other bikes, but as time goes on they all
prove to have been bargains.

Matt