I agree that the Ashtabula crank is an excellent design, even if usually
rather crudely executed. They certainly served Schwinn well in its lower
models. Frankly, I think they are ideal for children -- cheap, sturdy, very
large bearing area, easy to work on if they need fixing. I do sometimes
wonder about Q -- they seem to be inherently wider than separate spindle
and crankarm types. Certainly they are better than the cottered design, at
least for kid's bikes.

 Having installed a "cotterless" adaptor on an Ashtabula shell, I
personally don't see much advantage for a child's bike. All I got from my
conversion was cool factor and a narrower Q

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 1:34 AM, Philip Williamson <
philip.william...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The few one-piece cranks I've experienced were pretty reliable, which
> isn't surprising, since there aren't very many pieces involved. If it bugs
> you, you can get a $15(?) kit to put a square-taper BB into an American BB
> shell.
>
> Philip
> www.biketinker.com
>
> On Friday, September 21, 2012 8:08:38 AM UTC-7, Peter M wrote:
>>
>> Hmm, It has honestly been a while since I rode one but I just remember
>> the locknut always coming loose when me and my brother would go out for a
>> long ride and it spilling loose balls everywhere when I went to work on it,
>> but maybe it was user error. The upshot was I learned how to wrench a bike
>> and re-pack a set of bearings when I was about 8-9 years old.
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery <
>> thil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I disagree: One piece cranks are easy to adjust and reliable
>>> enough...and best of all for a kids bike, they're pretty much
>>> indestructible! Of course, if I get these bikes for my kids, I'll be
>>> upgrading to Rene Herse cranks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> googlegroups.com.
>>> group/rbw-owners-bunch?hl=en<http://groups.google.com/group/rbw-owners-bunch?hl=en>
>>> .
>>>

>>  --

"Believe nothing until it has been officially denied."
                                                   -- Claude Cockburn