Going to  a bigger cassette would probably require a different RD, and wide
range cassettes necessarily create large jumps between gears.  If you like
the spacing on your current cassette you might not like the wider steps.
If you are unsure perhaps trying to borrow the wider cassette would be a
good idea.

I share your feeling about the 34/27 combo, which is what I have on my
racing bike, which gives a low gear of 34 g.i., not enough in hilly VT.  My
Ram has a White VBC crank with 44/30 rings & an 11/28, which yields a low
gear of 29, g.i. which I find to be enough for very light loads except on
very long, steep climbs.  My touring bike goes down to 26.  A new crank,
like the VBC or Compass shouldn't affect your SIS set up.  Another
solution, not much more money than a 10 spd cassette, is to buy the Sugino
triple and just put a chain guard on the outside, with the 46 or 44/28.