Rivendell says they cost a lot, last forever & don't get flats.  2 our
3 ain't bad (they do have a disclaimer on that).  In May 2011, I
installed a pair of 40 mm Marathon Supremes on my Atlantis.  They were
purchased "used" from a list member.  Whatever use he put on them did
not amount to much as I changed out the rear after over 7,500 miles &
ONE (count 'em!) flat.  It wasn't totally worn out but the moment was
right.  The front has had zero flats & looks good to go for another
couple of thousand or so.

In the meantime, I got a set of 45 mm Marathon Plus with Smart Guard
from another list member.  They have zero miles; they just didn't fit
his fenders.  One of those is on the rear now.  Being a bit wider and
about double the weight (1,070 grams of steel & ruibber), I don't
expect to have any further comment until perhaps 2014.

When you think about the cost per mile and the flat resistance, Riv's
statements are pretty much on target.

dougP