So I'm totally loving my SimpleOne... except that I live at the top of a
big hill, and it's too heavy a gear to pedal up the hill.
Then I saw one of those FSA Metropolis 2-speed cranks on eBay, and decided
to try it out.  Well, I gotta tell you, this thing just plain WORKS, and it
WORKS WELL!  It gives me a 28-tooth (direct) chainring for hills, and an
effective 44-tooth chainring for flats and downhill.  I use an old retro
friction shifter, and the mechanism shifts effortlessly and
instantaneously, even under load.

Installation was straightforward and I encountered zero problems.   The
geared unit contains a heavy duty plastic tab that sits against the
chainstay, preventing the gearing mechanism from turning.  No ISG tab
required, making the Metropolis compatible with virtually any bike (with a
68mm wide BB shell).  The crank comes with external bearing bottom bracket;
you provide the shifter.  But virtually any shifter (that pulls cable)
should work.

I took it for a test ride... It feels great, and it really works well !!!
I'm impressed; FSA could have a winner.

Check out photos.  http://tinyurl.com/9xhf462

Peace,
BB