I have had chain suck when I mixed shimano or shimano standard rings on a
sugino crank.  The two companies apparently use slightly different spacing
of the cranks and rings.  However my problem has always been between the
middle and small ring, which I could fix with a spacer that moved the
middle ring out 1-2 mm.  If you have mixed rings and with the problem being
between the big and middle ring I don't know of any solution other than
different rings or a different crank.

I would also offer that my experience has been that good 9 speed chains (I
use the Conex 908) shift better and last longer than the cheap ones.

Good luck,
Michael
who turned 68 today!