You may not like them, but an air horn is exactly what I use, and have for quite a number of years. Mine is the Airzound, by Delta <http://deltacycle.com/Airzound-Bike-Horn>. I've been a bike commuter for the past 18 years and find the horn quite handy if I think someone on a side street is not paying attention, or starts moving to the right while I'm beside them. I fill it up every couple of weeks. I don't have to use it much; if you do you may be doing something wrong. :-)

BTW, I have the horn mounted behind a 'bar tube' type bar bag on my mustache bars and it's barely noticeable. And I have been able to tuck the air bottle between the chainstays and rear fender for a neater installation. You can't do that with a racer, but you might be able to do that with a Riv, or Rivish bike.

Kerry Kunsman
San Diego, CA