Bicycle Habitat is a pretty good shop in NYC.  And there's a Riv-ish place
on 2nd Ave and approx 6th St.  When I've been in either of those shops with
variously my (now former) Saluki, or Kog, or Boulder, they've immediately
known what it is under all the dirt.  And been very accomodating.  Also
Adeline Adeline on Reade St is a great shop, lots of transportation bikes.
 Check out their website.   Ron B (no longer a new yorker; in rural western
Mass, but I travel into NYC w bikes often (usually a Bike Friday tandem).