Narrow-flange induced wheel flex seems like a pretty far-fetched problem.
The wheel can flex laterally in hard corners, but so does the fork. On my
1936 Gitane tandem with 27" wheels, there is a tendency for the front rim
to rub the brake pads in hard corners, despite the hub having a high, wide
flange. The skinny, flexy fork legs are the more likely culprit.