I found carrying my macbook in a Carradice Longflap worked when I wedged it
against a rack but I could feel the weight that hi up.  I switched to a
Carradice office bag which worked fine to protect the computer.  I retired
two years ago and haven't used it since.  I would be willing to part with
it, if you want it.  The only draw back I found with panniers for commuting
was that they tended to get dirtier than a large saddle bag, but then my
 30 mile commute included 10 miles of dirt.

Michael