Half step is great gearing for commuting, imo. Your 5 speed fw ought
to work fine: just adjust the derailleur travel limit screws. After
all, if the rd can handle 7 or more, it can handle a 5-er that fits
within the inward and outward limits of one of those cogsets.

I used to run a half-step plus bailouts on my erstwhile '95 Riv
custom: something like a 46/49 or 47/50 with a 13-15-17-19-22-26-32,
halfstepping the middle five cogs. Cruising gears, for most of my
riding, were on the 17: 71" and 67" with 559X32 mm Pasela; just flip
the left lever back and forth: perfect indexing! I used Kelly
Take-Offs with old Record shifters. I used the 13/94" with the 49 as a
downhill gear and the 32/36" as a lazy-load-wind-hill gear with the
46.

Hell, fiddling with gear ratios is almost as fun as riding them!

Patrick Moore, who just lugged 20 lb home in the new Sackville in a 72" gear.

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 6:38 AM, John L <johnlimo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have in interest in trying out a drivetrain based a used shimano 600 half
> step - granny crankset I picked up on Ebay.  I'd like to mate it to an IRD
> 13-32 hub, but the gear spacing works out much cleaner and with less
> duplication I use the 5 speed as opposed to 7 speed hub.  But this would be
> on a bike w/ 135mm dropout spacing, and I'd like to use the Rivy hub.  Could
> I make a 5 speed freewheel work with some spacers?

Vote early, vote often, vote Rhinoceros!
http://tinyurl.com/d7muj2t