On Sunday, October 28, 2012 5:55:35 PM UTC-7, Joe Bernard wrote:

> I used Silver BES on Albas. Very convenient, but a little crowded when
> making sharp turns or dismounting. Albas have much sweepback, and BES
> exacerbates this.

This is interesting. Could something like these Shimano mtb shifters be
used instead of bar-ends:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/mountain/New_Deore_XT/product.-code-SL-M780-I.-type-.sl_mountain.html

Or if you're a Campy user, how about something like these Veloce flat bar
shifters, could they work with these bars:

http://www.probikekit.com/us/components/gear-levers-shifters/campagnolo-veloce-flat-bar-bicycle-shifters-10-speed.html

Good Luck!