When I built my Sam last summer I selected what I thought were
reasonably priced drive train components that function reasonably
well.  One result I am less than extatic about is brakes, which are
Deore v-brakes with kool stop pads and the Tektro drop bar levers that
work with vees. This combination stops the bike just fine, but has
nowhere near the modulated feel of the calipers on my Brompton. In
comparison the vees fell, for want of a better word, clunky.

So, what am I doing wrong and what can be done to fix it? A different
typre of brake? A different model? Different levers and j-tek
thingies?

I love the feeling of control that good brakes provide. How to I gwt
that on my canti Sam?