On Sunday, December 2, 2012 9:01:49 AM UTC-8, Jeremy Till wrote:

> It should be pointed out that a whole lot more goes into making a bike a
> "go fast" than just the frame and fork.

Agree. How much lighter is a Roadeo than a SM? That difference basically
disappears under the rider. Grant states this all the time in his
comparison of his frames to carbon. His framesets weigh in the 7+lb range;
a modern Chinese carbon frameset can be as low as 3lb (yup, for frame AND
fork!). But in the overall weight of the bike, its not that much more, or
at that's what he wants you to believe ;)

> Roadeo's are fast because they are often built with fairly lightweight
> parts, especially wheels.  If you end up going for for the San Marcos,
> especially in a smaller size like your, I should think you would be able to
> make a pretty zippy little bike if you choose the right parts.  Get some
> lightweight wheels built (how light are those new Pacenti 650b rims?), use
> something like Pari Motos or the GB Cypres for tires, some of the lighter
> weight Nitto bars, a Thomson seatpost, etc....  Maybe forgo the brooks
> (gasp!) or spring for one of the Ti-railed ones.

On the other hand, if this is your "go-fast" are you using a brake/shifter
lever combo (brifter)?  If so, check out Sram. Several guys in our group
have carbon bike with  the latest Sram Red and their bikes weigh in *under
15lb!*  That's light. If you don't want to spend that much for the Red
group, get the Force, its slightly heavier at quite a bit less cost.

I also agree with wheels. If you're a lightweight guy, you can get away
with lower spoke count wheels. I'm not familiar with 650b stuff, but I
heard good things about Velocity rims (lightweight, durable and reasonably
price) and the GB tires are suppose to be very good, although fragile.

A SM with Sram Force and light wheels should make a very lively bike! Good
Luck!