I think the re-jiggering of road models over the last 10 years or so has a
lot to do with component (esp. brake) availability as a whole.  In the
"dark ages" of 94-2000 or so, there were simply no long-reach brakes
available for road bikes, so Grant had to integrate his ideas into the
"Road" which made the best use of the shorter-reach calipers available and
the "All-Rounder" which used cantilever brakes.  When Shimano started
making 57mm reach sidepulls again in the early 2000's, he came out with the
Rambouillet (and then the Romulus/Redwood) to take full advantage of the
clearance those brakes offered.  Finally, once he convinced Tektro to make
the Silver sidepull in 2006-2008, the Ram/Rom was superseded by the Hilsen
and Hillborne, which, with the clearances provided by the 55-75mm reach
caliper, I think finally matches *his* ideal of what a "road" bike
can/should be.  So, unless somebody comes out with a caliper with even *
greater* reach, which is unlikely given that such a beast would have a hard
time being strong enough to produce any real braking force, I don't see the
"road" models changing much in the coming years.

I think the 650b bikes (Saluki, Bleriot) were similarly created to take
advantage/encourage the resurgence of 650b wheels/tires.  Once 650b gained
a measure of wider acceptance, those models were rolled into the production
road models (Hilsen/Hilborne) since grant believes 650b isn't really needed
for larger sizes and 650b as a standard didn't need the publicity of a
dedicated model anymore.

In terms of the Roadeo and San Marcos, part of me wonders if these really
fit Grant's system of road bike ideals or if they were an acknowledgement
of greater market forces, namely the demand of folks like me, who want more
clearances than a normal road bike but find the clearances of something
like the Hilsen or Hillborne a bit excessive (at least for their purposes)
and like the aesthetics and better braking performance (debatable, i'll
admit) of slightly tighter frames and smaller, stiffer brake calipers.  It
definitely seems that they were both created with a great deal of
encouragement from other folks, Mark Abele for the Roadeo (maybe?) and Jim
Porter of Merry Sales for the San Marcos.