> For my custom:

Frame and fork:
I would ask Rivendell for the lightest, fastest FF I could get that would
let them still sleep well at night.

Paint:
Traced lugs/crown, cream headtube, and a very dark greenish/blueish
patchwork plaid type color, or , whatever was available from their custom
color charts. If not plaid, then some kinda metallic aqua color, but with
the biggest sparkles (metal flake?) I could get that would still allow
Rivendell employees sleep well at night.

Build:
Nitto, Nitto, Nitto, Brooks, Brooks, drivetrain up to the advice of Riv.
Gearing light for hills. MKS Touring Pedals. Bar ends, Shimano brake
levers. Toss up for Paul Racers or Silver-type Sidepulls - whatever is more
fail-proof and easier to fix on the road. Wheels up to Rivendell, but husky
enough so that they could still sleep well at night and I could mount
30-something mm tires with enough clearance for fenders.

Eyelets/Braze-ons:
As many as they could sqeeze in, and still be able to sleep at night. I
would *not *use them for racks, I just like to attach things to 'em (like
fenders and extra tail lights and a Gino mount for a headlight.). I
would use a saddle bag and two Nitto bottle holders.