I haven't ridden my Ram in hard rain yet.  I've ridden through puddles
and such and have not noticed grime on my BB. I usually won't ride the
Ram in hard rain unless I get caught out or do a brevet in the rain. I
haven't done that yet, but if I do, then I can give a better report. I
also have extra plastic, reflective mudflaps that I will mount if I
find that the current mudflap does not go low enough.

I can measure the distance from the bottom of the flap to the ground
if that would be helpful...

Toshi in Oakland--a mostly fair weather recreational rider on my Ram.