Considering what a nuisance it is to change inner rings, I'd pitch it so as
to avoid temptation, especially as the new one solved the problem.  You may
consider more frequent chain replacements.  I've gone from replacing chains
"whenever" to every 3-4,000 miles max.  It makes the expensive, harder to
replace parts last longer.  My climate is relatively dry and easy on drive
trains.  I've slogged thru that red clay mud in Thailand & it's gotta be a
whole tougher on drive trains.

dougP