On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:19:14 PM UTC-8, Steve Palincsar wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-01-22 at 19:10 -0800, Jan Heine wrote:
> > For recreational and general transportation use, one bike would be
> > quite feasible. In fact, since I prefer to focus on the ride rather
> > than the bike, I don't really see the need to own several similar
> > bikes that fill the same purpose. Given a choice, I'd prefer one truly
> > awesome bike over a bunch of just nice ones.
>
> Great, right up to the moment something fails, you need a part, and the
> bike goes on deadline.
>
> I think that even if you're Jan and you have a bike parts company, there
> are still going to be times when you have to order a part, or when you
> have to take the bike down to the shop and they tell you it'll be a week
> to ten days.
>
> At that point, it's great to have at least two bikes!

Bingo! When I use to ride only recreationally on the weekends, one bike was
more than sufficient. However, now that I commute by bike, at least 4 times
per week, I find that things do wear out or break and I need a second
bike!  I now have two bikes that I take turns riding on my commute during
the week and on my recreational ride on the weekend. I actually have a
third mtb junker that was given to me - e.g., a
"ifsomeonestoleitthey'redoingmeafavor" type of bike that I use when riding
with my kids. Good Luck!