On Wed, 2013-01-23 at 14:51 -0800, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery wrote:
> Sure, tires wear out over time, while other items are less consumable,
> but that's kinda beside the point. For the added cost of a $2000 Riv
> frameset, compared to, say, a $500 Surly, you're not buying extra
> durability. You're buying swankiness and style and maybe some
> preferable ride quality characteristics, and maybe that's all worth
> something to you, but you're not getting extra durability, and
> certainly not 4x the durability.

No, but you are getting a lifespan that's long enough to let you
amortize over decades.

> If durability/dollar was your only criterion, nobody would buy a Riv.

No, but do remember, Riv specifically markets their bikes as bikes you
can ride for 20 years.  They're calling for you to take the long view.

>  Personally, I think good tires are among the best investments one can
> make on a bike. And as I mentioned before, there are plenty of less
> costly options. Basic Big Apples are $34.

I agree.  And don't forget, the price of tires has gone up a lot in the
past 2-3 years.  23mm race tires that used to for around $40 are now
approaching $70.  So a $95 high end tire isn't particularly shocking,
as /all/ high end tires are hovering around the $100 mark.  I also fully
agree that you get your money's worth with high end tires.  Except for
winter use, that's all I use.