For the most part my sandbagging turned out to be accurate.  My wife and
kids had a fancy-ish dinner trip planned last night and I had made a
mostly-binding promise to reach the finish before dark.  So, when I got to
Point Reyes Station I decided to skip the out and back leg to the Marshall
Store.  As I made the turn off the Pt-Reyes--Petaluma Road onto Nicasio I
almost regretted my decision, because I felt great, but then I attributed
that to the strong push of the tailwind.  I got to the "finish" at about
5:10, allowing the volunteers to account for me safely.  The finish control
didn't close until 8:30, so I definitely could have done the whole thing,
but clearly I wasn't up to the distance yet.  It was a 185km day in the sun
for me, but a DNF in the Big Book.  So it goes.  It was a lovely day out,
and for me a nice kickoff to the year despite the DNF.