and to clarify, this was not a side-wall cut.  The thorn left a 16th" slit
in the center of the tread.  When I spread it to inspect it, the thorn
dropped out.  I didn't expect it to cut so cleanly through the kevlar belt.

As far as the latex choice, my rims are so narrow, with wide tires, butyl
tubes will blow themselves out trying to stretch into the rim.