I am weighing (no pun intended!) a few of the helpful suggestions from the
group. I think I am considering:
CETMA strong and tough, ugly and expensive.
Blackburn cheap and tough, ugly and not made for this bike.
Marks elegant and made for the bike, expensive and wondering about weight
limit, but I see on the staff bikes they appear to hold more than 4.4 pounds.
Someone from the list has told me they might have one of these.
Gamoj porter like on Sean's bike on the staff bikes page.

As to my original post: I almost always carry 5-10 pounds in my work bag to and
from work, and on rare occasion a 12 pack of beer and very rarely a case or
other such groceries, but would love to have the option.  And have it be better
than the current situation with soma rack and p clamps.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Edwin