For metal fenders, the recommendation is to use fenders that are at least
10mm wider than the tires, although you can get away with a bit less.
Fenders are described in mm, while tires as you describe them are in
inches. Roughly, a 2.0 tire is 50mm, so you'd need a 60mm metal fender
(26x60). Metal fenders also seem to need more vertical clearance below the
crown than plastic fenders. I'd say that you probably want around 10mm of
vertical clearance, although you can get away with a bit less; the issue
here is having enough space between the tire and the nut if you mount them
with a daruma. If you use a bracket, then you can get away with less
clearance, at least in my experience.

I've mounted so many metal fenders on my bikes, that I now can do a much
better job; when I started, it took me almost a day for each fender as no
matter how closely I followed the instructions available online, there were
so many things I wasn't doing right and had to redo/undo.

When doing my last metal fender installation (Berthoud steel fenders on my
Betty), the rear one went in very quickly, but the tight tolerances between
the front Hetre tire and the Betty's fork forced me to try so many
alternate ways, that it took several 4 hour evenings. I succeeded (details
in an older post) but the tolerances between the tire and the fenders are
probably less than ideal on the front.

René

René