That's not actually how it works-     the internal cog in the silver
shifter is not spring loaded at all;  it is simply friction'd against the
inner wall of the shifter mechanism.    As a cog it is toothed, though, and
the Silver lever itself holds a pawl which grabs the wheel in one direction
and floats (ratchets) in the other.

In summary the Silver mechanism is a friction shifter with a pawl/cog that
ratchets when pulling the cable, and grabs the cog to rely on its friction
to stop it from sliding back.

The only reason I know this is because I have worn out the pawl in a Silver
shifter, and took it apart to overhaul it.

Matt