You pose two questions:

1.  Anyone know anything about aluminum bar life?

I know a little bit about fatigue life of materials.  Any metal that is
cyclicly loaded will fatigue and fail eventually.  Just about every metal
has a similar look to it on an S-N curve (Wikipedia that for an
explanation).  The take home is that almost everything eventually wears out
and fails.  It's just a matter of when.  Steel is a notable exception.  If
steel is cyclicly loaded at a low enough Stress, then it essentially never
fatigues.  Incredible stuff.  Anyway, Aluminum does fatigue and
fail...eventually.  When?  It depends on how much you are stressing it and
how many cycles you put on it daily.

2.  Do I need to throw away the old used set of bars I have?

Nitto is going to say what they say because they generate these S-N curves
and test the heck out of their products.  They do see parts fail after lots
of cycles, and what they recommend is going to be conservative.  When Nitto
says 5 years, I think 20.  I do not think 50 years.  You don't know when
your bars are going to fail unless you know REALLY accurately what the
 Anybody who decides to buy and ride used equipment assumes some additional
risk because you just don't know for sure what the history is.  If you
think you would feel a lot more comfortable replacing your handlebars, then
I'd say do it.