Rene

Also look to the straddle cable itself on the Paul in front.  Make sure
that it's straightened out.  Make sure that none of your lever travel is
used up simply pulling the arc shape out of the straddle cable.  Pauls, in
my experience, are shipped with a pretty stiff straddle cable, and you have
to make a real effort to give it a little bend at the two edges of the
carrier, and you have to give it a little bend with your thumb at the
anchor as well.  That might result in giving you more slack than you
thought you had, will result in the pads being farther from the rims, and
will allow you to pull up some slack at the barrel adjuster.