Same here. Had drops - Noodles and Nitto Rando - on my Sam and it was never
quite right for my use. If I were doing a tour it might be different, but
the way I use it the Alba bars transformed the bike, mostly by transforming
MY attitude when I get on it.
With the Albas (or, I'd imagine, most swept back bars) you just can't help
but feel that you're getting on the bike to have fun.

It's funny but the Sam went through lots of iterations, with brifters, no
fenders, rando-bag, etc etc but it's now a textbook Riv country bike with
lots of shiny bits, grip kings, bags galore, and it now feels just so
"right" as a bike...

-Pete in CT