Jim Thill writes:

"I admit to harboring a stereotype that this young woman just wants a
comfortable, reliable bike to ride, and does not care to get into a project
refurbing an obscure antique."

I don't even think that counts as a stereotype. Some of the people on this
list love tinkering with their bikes. That's fine, but it's not even
representative of people who already love and ride bikes, let alone a new
rider who, probably, just wants to ride. Maybe Dustin loves tinkering and
will help his little sis out, but otherwise, I too think she should go to a
bike shop-- perhaps with her brother to help her in case she ends up at a
shop that wants to push her toward whatever the racers are riding
nowadays-- and test ride some bikes.

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery <
thill....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I admit to harboring a stereotype that this young woman just wants a
> comfortable, reliable bike to ride, and does not care to get into a project
> refurbing an obscure antique. Perhaps I'm wrong.
>
> I realize that some used bikes are a good deal, and need little or no TLC
> to be a good rider. But it takes some skill to identify these. And even if
> you only find high quality used bikes on your local CL, it's easy to feel
> pressured to buy one that isn't ideal. At a bigger shop, at least a
> customer could try several bikes side by side. Plus, there's a warranty,
> maybe a deal on accessories, etc.

-- Anne Paulson

My hovercraft is full of eels