Steve: what are the differences (in feel, performance, durability) between,
say, the M540 and the 959 and 747? I take it that these last are the XTR
and XT versions?

Some time ago I had the 959 of the period, but can't say I remember any
difference over, say, my very early '90s 540s.

For the record, I too prefer SPDs, the real Shimano ones: currently
installed are old Dura Ace spds and the old 540s I mentoned. Also, Looks --
Keo Pluses, model no longer made.

http://resumespecialties.com/index.html
patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com