I'm with Patrick on this: it's definitely not all in your head.  There's
physical stuff involved, too.  Best intentions in the world won't make a
size 38 shoe fit a size 48 foot.

But you do not need a laser analysis to tell you that a size 38 shoe fits a
size 48 foot, right?

I was not arguing that thought should not be put into getting the right fit
on a bike.  Rather, my argument was pointed to a pure fluff and as far as I
know unsubstaniated marketing claim that a laser fit will yield a definite
percentage improvement.

Kellogg uses a cranky old contraption and his experience to fit people on
his bikes.  Spectrum customers are among the more satisfied on the planet.

Likewise, I expect Jim Thill and Grant Peterson can do a pretty good job
fitting people on the kind of bikes they sell without a bunch of digital
theatre.