Another data point.  I did a long tour with Tubus Cosmo/Nova racks and
Ortlieb panniers(Bikepacker Plus/Sportpacker Plus), and I had no problems.
 After I got home, I was riding my bike with the racks still on it, and I
took a shortcut up on the sidewalk, As I was rounding a sharp corner I
reached down to ring my new bell to warn any pedestrians, and I ended up
riding off the curb (into oncoming traffic).  I leaned my bike heavily
trying to avoid going off the curb, and as such when I went off the curb, I
fell over onto the curb.  Luckily, the racks and my body saved the bike
from any damage.  The rear Cosmo rack was slightly bent, but not broken or
cracked.