I go back and forth on this topic.  I'll ride with no computer for a while
and enjoy the freedom, then I'll go back to the Garmin.  However, when I'm
doing long rides, especially if I don't know the route, I always have
the Garmin.  A couple of years ago, I was somewhat lost in east San Diego
County, 85 miles into a long day, out of water, in 90+ weather, and I
didn't know where the next intersection or store was.  That experience led
me very promptly to the Garmin.  I'm sure there are good arguments for
using a phone instead, but I went to the Garmin, and I do like it.  I also
enjoy seeing my accumulated elevation gain.  I suppose an i-phone could
give me that?  I don't have an I-phone, I have a droid, and I think the
directions function sux with a capital x.  The business functions work
fine.  The directions function not so much.

pb