I'm a big fan of V8. For years I had noticed other randonneurs using it and
just couldn't stomach it. During last years 600k I finally bit the bullet
and drank it and got the relief I needed. I got myself used to it over the
following month and drank multiple bottles during a 1200k and had no issues
with cramps other than at about 100k when I had gone a little too hard and
fast.

A friend carries a bottle of French's Mustard in his front bag and takes
squeezes off that during brevets. I guess it has vinegar or something in it
that provides relief from cramps.

--mike