I agree with your points on lighter or thinner tubing, Jim, One thing I
have considered, thought, is sending off the romulus and getting a new fork
made for it in what would be a decidedly high rake (low trail) bike.
Like Rene has done on this list.

I think that would be a better test to see if I'm happier with it or not -
independent of tubing and other choices.

That's why when I saw this post from soma I was fairly excited
http://www.somafab.blogspot.com/2013/05/low-trail-forks.html

They will likely only make them for 1-1/8" threadless but I'd think about
picking up a cross check or a pacer or a double cross to try that out.

Having said that whenever I ride the hilsen or the romulus I'm reminded
that it is really super pleasant to ride the way it is and leaving it alone
doesn't cost anything, then I think about other things and then I notice a
coffee shop and my mind slips to other things altogether.

:)

-sv