Hi David,

Goatheads are common to our area... I'm a Loma Linda native so I know your
pain!

I recently attempted to set up 32mm Panaracer Pasela TGs (kevlar bead)
tubeless on standard rims and lo and behold – they sealed up perfectly. I
was running 2011 Fulcrum Racing 5s with 2 layers of 21mm Stan's tape (no
rim strips... too heavy!), and these seal up great. I also set the tires up
with a wheelset built with H Plus Son Archetype rims... those took 2 extra
layers of Stan's tape to seal. A bummer due to the extra weight but totally
worth the wider 23mm rim profile, which makes cornering a breeze and
supports the tires better.

I used a compressor to initially seat the bead (took a little time due to
the wrinkles in the tire bead... don't lose hope! Keep trying!), then put a
good amount of Stan's in there and it sealed up to my delight. I am able to
run a max pressure of about 60 psi... which is more than you'd really want
to run anyways. I weigh about 170lb and I run my front tire at 45/48 psi
and my rear at 50/52 psi..

What about the ride? Tire rolls very smooth, fast and plush over the beat
up roads. Great low rolling resistance feel and very little rolling noise.
32mm is great for light off-road riding, gravel racing, you name it. People
say Paselas aren't good tires... man they are wrong!

Reliability? Initially the tire lost air very quickly, about 20 psi/hour.
After a few rides and some monitoring and re-inflation, the Stan's appeared
to coat the inside of the tire better and now they lose air only slightly
faster than a standard butyl tube setup. I inflate my tires before every
ride so it's a non-issue. As far as puncture protection goes, I have yet to
get a flat on these tires. knock on wood.

Bead seat reliability? I have yet to burp these tires, blow them off or
flat them due to burping. They are bulletproof. I've taken small dirt
jumps, curb hops and rock rolls on them... they don't budge. It makes
riding the bike enormously reliable, which is great because it's a
commuter. Can't handle getting flats on commutes!

It's sort of a dream setup and I'm enormously happy. No need to wait for
tubeless-specific touring tires... just convert what you got! Next on the
docket to attempt converting after these wear out are the Rivendell Jack
Brown Greens, also made by Panaracer.

Note: The only reason this conversion worked was because I was running 32mm
tires at low pressures. Don't attempt to convert anything narrower than
this for tubeless use. You'll blow the tire off the rim at the pressures
needed for that tire to perform well.

Aaron