Towing with my Prius would also void my warranty, but the hitch I have is
rated for 2 bikes only, and once I added the Saris attachment there is no
possibility of towing anything but bicycles. As I said, I carry my tandem
on the roof out of necessity but would never go back to a roof mount for
singles.
A hitch doesn't cost any more than a Thule or Yakima rack.
Michael