Haha, I wasn't trying to be a wet blanket, just stating the fact that in
the bike biz, unsophisticated customers tend to shy away from "versatile"
because it sounds like there'd be some kind of performance compromise. This
misguided (but profitable) notion is what has led the bigger bike companies
to create ever expanding product lines of single-purpose bikes, which
further fuels this sentiment among the bike buying public.

Mike S, I believe if you stepped into my shop, you'd see that I'm all about
versatility, in the bikes I ride, and in the bikes I choose to sell. All of
my bikes have braze-ons a'plenty and loads of tire clearance. Nothing
skinnier than 700x28 here, and even that seems frivolous to me.