Hugh,

Im in Colorado so there is certainly no shortage of bike shops here. There
ARE a couple shops around town that do embrace a more universal usage point
of view as opposed to the "racing" ends of the spectrum. They have
basically evolved out of the fixie messenger scene and transitioned into
the utility/cross/townie/gravel/fat bike market. Which sort of nails my
point on the head...if you want the fringe product, you generally have to
go to the fringe shops. That's not a complaint mind you, quite the
contrary. Our shops business is middle of the road, mom and pop sales with
some high end club rider and aggressive mtb sales thrown in. We strive to
be the best in serving that broad market but would fail trying to also be
superlative in every niche. Sure, MY thinking is that the majority of our
customers who just ride for fun would be better suited on a Rivendell, or
even the Surly offerings, but when your customer has 500-700 to work with
the reality is a much different picture. And in defense of the big brands
we sell, they have some fantastic bikes. The Cannondale Quick line up is is
awesome. Flat bar 700c with fat tires and an upright position. They are
super functional and surprisingly affordable. I have no issues with what we
sell. I havent worked the floor for over 6 years and primarily work behind
the scenes in an admin position. But when I was in sales, my approach was
to always discuss what they wanted to do with the bike and where/how they
wanted to ride. Luckily my service manager and I were very agreeable to
going outside the box and had no issues building or altering bikes. You
want slick tires and a drop bar on a mountain bike...hell yes we can. Campy
derailleurs and Suntour shifters...lets try it. But then we were building
frankenmonster bikes out of the take off piles for grins. I think my story
is a carbon copy of many who are in the industry for more than a summer
job.

As for my co-workers, I dont get any negative feedback in seriousness, but
more a general razzing. Pretty standard "How old is that?" and "OMG that's
heavy". They do all appreciate the Rivendell and IndyFab, but become
incredulous as to why I would forgo my pro-deal pricing on brands we sell
to get a Riv at retail. It's a valid argument too. I can get a REALLY
"nice" complete bike for less than an Atlantis frame. But then "nice" is in
the saddle of the rider so to speak and the value extends past the money.
My priorities changed drastically after manufacturing titanium and steel
frames for 2 years. From then on I have made a point to support small
manufacturers preferably in the US. Luckily once we all get out for a shop
ride, no one really cares what bikes we're on and just enjoy the roll. Any
good natured ribbing becomes appreciation when I jet off the paved trail to
hit some single track shortcut and come back on the trail with a bigger
smile.