Patrick, I feel for you really I do.  It's bad enough dealing with goat
heads, but on top of that you get talking heads.

I have never cycled through goat heads but I am familiar with them from
camping in Canyon de Chellly in Az.  I remember dreading putting my hand
down to crawl out of the tent.  Yikes.  In any case I'm probably not
qualified to give flat tire advice, since my # of flats have declined
dramatically since retiring.  No commuting into town.  I've had two flats
this year, one on a Marathon Racer on the tandem and one on a new
Pari-moto.  I run Grand Bois cerf on the Ram and have about a thousand
miles without a flat.

I plan to attend a conference in Santa Fe next April and hope to go early
and bike in ABQ.  ( One day of Santa Fe is enough for me.)  Not sure which
bike I will bring but will look to you for a tire recommendation.  Have you
tried riding on prayers?

I remember coming home from work one very dark, rainy night on the Ram,
with Ruffy Tuffy's.  I was on a dirt road, which I discovered, much to my
dismay,  had been graded that day and was very rocky.  I remember thinking,
" I hope I don't flat." when bam, my back tire went.  Since then I only
think, "I will not flat."

blessings in the pipeline for you,
Michael