Mt Airy Bikes and College Park Bicycles - both fine shops.  Larry Black is a supporter of Grant and College Park Bicycles is where we met for a ride and talk when Grant was on his Just Ride tour.  Mt Airy Bikes can't be very far from you, Michael.  Way out of my way but I understand from non-carbon folks who go to those shops that they are well taken care of.

Joan

On 05/30/13, Ray Shine<r.sh...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Isn't Velo Orange located nearby in Annapolis? Not Riv, but fairly close. I'd call 'em "Riv-ish."

From: Michael <john11.2...@gmail.com>
To: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
Sent: Wed, May 29, 2013 10:30:38 PM
Subject: [RBW] Frisco-peeps stop hogging all the fun. We need a RivEast in Howard County, MD - and here's why.

What I wanna know is when are we gonna get a Rivendell-East location here on the east coast?
We need a good alternative to carbon over here - and fast!. Its just a matter of time 'til all the forks around here start snapping, and nobody wants that.

From reports I have read, Howard County, Maryland is one of, and within an hour of, three of the top 5 richest counties in the USA. So folks can afford Rivs out here. And the housing is much cheaper here than SF area (gas too I think). So I bet there is more disposable income to throw around.

 You got 3 college urban areas within 30 minutes of each other (DC, College Park, and Baltimore). Bring on the Quickbeam Reissues.

 The area has lotsa bike clubs and fundraiser rides. Bike lanes are popping up all over and there are MUPS and trails galore. You can pretty much get anywhere in Columbia, MD on their elaborate MUP-ways.

Some shoppes around here carry the odd Surly and Salsa, but 99% of the time I see shoppes swollen with alucarbon racers and comfort bikes. If you want a new touring bike, the only shoppes within 30 minutes give you the choice of the LHT or the Trek touring bike they have out. That's it. Nary a Mixte either. Maybe one?

I don't know business, so maybe I am talking outta my hat, but fancy steel for the non racer would fill the gaping maw of the offerings available around here for the cyclist. And would help people have bikes that could have fenders that didn't need to be in 3 pieces to fit. Sure would be nice to scarf up all the stuff at the Riv yard sales, too.