Patrick,
That is quite the impressive load!  Well done.
I use the large Saddlesack and load outside the store.  I would be too stressed
trying to load while checking out, all with impatient folks behind me.  I take
my items outside to my bike, analyze what I have, and load accordingly.
Similar to a game of tetrus.  With your load I would have placed the milk in
first toward the back of the bag to get its weight more forward and to give
form to the bag.  Last in would be fragile things like fruit, which would go on
top or closest to closure.  Most likely that is what you did.  You could also
strap lightweight bulky items to the top of the bag, like the maxipads. ;)
Assuming the medium bag has the ability to  secure straps to the outside this
would give more room inside the bag.
I use a rack with the large Saddlesack and do not find room compromised; in
fact on my Surly the large would be unusable without the rack.  The large is
designed, I believe, to be secured on the bottom to a rack and on top to the
saddle.  There is no means to connect it to the seat post.
It sounds like you have a good system with the panniers.
Good luck,
Erl