I hate wearing sun screen thus knickers are by far the preferred choice
over shorts.

MUSA knickers are very good.  Wish they came in lighter colors.  Patagonia
does not sell knickers but every year comes out with some iteration of a
light weight mid-calf climbing short:

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-rock-craft-capris-22-inch?p=58245-0-759

(this year's version already sold out in 33, blast!).  Hard to say I really
have a preference between the two.  Both move easy and are comfortable on
long rides.  MUSA have reflective strips so would be my preference after
dark.

Swrve makes some very nice light weight knickers which I prefer over both
the MUSA and Patagonia.  Swrve wear better for me and the pockets hold more
things while keeping them out of the way.