You are misreading my original post on the topic if you think I am arguing
that all shell saddles are uncomfortable.  Rather, I said that Cambium
gives hope to those of us who find shell saddles uncomfortable and prefer
not to buy leather products.  I will point out that several people reading
the list reached out to me off line saying they would be very happy to use
a quality hammock saddle made without leather.

I spent hundreds probably thousands of dollars on shell saddles between
1998 and 2005 or so.  If shell saddles worked for me, I would use them.  I
am glad they work for you.

I am not aware of any scientific survey on padded shorts use among
cyclists.  The fact so many companies make and sell padded shorts and you
see so many people wearing them certainly suggests significant numbers use
them.  While this is good for the cycle industry economy, I question
whether enough end users have asked themselves why they need to wear padded
shorts to ride.

Given my experience with shell saddles versus hammock, I believe at least
some percentage of people who use shell saddles and wear padded shorts will
find they no longer need the pads on a hammock saddle.