I like where this thread is headed...

I've been doing something similar on all my bikes. Basically, any bike that
already came with a triple, I ride the middle ring 90% of the time and use the
small ring for steep hills. The large could be exchanged for a bash guard but I
don't bother. So 38/24, 45/28, whatever is on there for middle and small rings,
that's my double. I built up a mixte for my wife and for that, I selected the
VO Polyvalent Crankset which IIRC is 46/30. For the freewheel or cassette, the
wider the range the better I like it (11-32 or 11-34 is nice, but I have the
original 14-28 freewheel on an old trek). So what? You shift, you pedal, you
ride. It's all good. Nothing really complicated going on and I never understood
why people need to over-complicate it. Taping gear ratios to handlebars? Been
there, done that, have the t-shirt.

Keep it simple.
Perry