> If I'm doing a longer ride, I'll put on the padded wool shorts.  It's not
just the padding that helps on longer rides. Loose-fitting
> pants/shorts rubbing for more than a few hours will eventually cause
abrasions.  Seems to be physics (friction?).

My tolerance weakness is overheating.  When I did my Northern Tier cross
country tour, the first week or so I wore padded shorts fearing accumulated
abrasion.  They were fine, if odd on the Pac Coast and mountains.  When I
came into the hot northern plains the padding seemed to add to the heat
effect.  A couple hours in and my shorts were soaked.

Dropping the pads in favor of unpadded looser fitting light weight
shorts kept me cooler and did not lead to any extreme abrasion.

By the time I reached the Black Hills I tossed the padded shorts and bought
a couple pair of running shorts which (just barely) held up through to
Boston.