All replies to this post are good - the temporary field fix, the general
issues surrounding steel dropouts and the various factors that can lead to
failure, the way Riv lives up to its reputation for supporting their
products, etc.  But I own a Rambouillet of the same vintage as the OP and
if something like this ever happened to it I'd have to find a way to get it
repainted the same brilliant orange color as the original, even if I had to
pay for the paint job myself.  I know this kind of flies in the face of the
beausage philosophy, but I love that goldish orange they used so much that
I'd just have to keep it somehow.